February 7, 2011

Get ready for your close up

I was asked by my manager if I wanted to be an extra for a promotional movie for the Alliance Française in Dublin. The scene we shot was in a café, where we were just background customers. So far so good, pretending to have a conversation with the other extras, not look at the camera, and pretend to drink tea or coffee out of empty cups. And waiting between scenes... not the most fun, but tha whole lights, camera, monitors, director's assistant etc... is fun to watch.


At some point the main character walks in the café and everyone is supposed to stop doing what they were doing and stare at him...We shot close ups, once, twice, all wrapped phew, we're almost done...until the director decides that I'm gonna be in just in front of the camera... i'm supposed to chit-chat until the hero arrives, drink a sip of tea and drop the cup as I stare at him in surprise.....I got so focused on not forgetting the order of things( which sound simple like that), that I forgot to take a sip, or drop the cup during the 5 or 6 takes we did.....Argh, acting (even silently) isn't easy, especially when you have a huge camera lens 3 centimeters from your face...

Another fun and out of the ordinary experience but that I don't wish to reiterate soon.

Next time: Gaelic Football and Afternoon Tea on the Big Wheel, wuhoo!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment